Explore the ancient world further by visiting new worlds with rich knowledge acquired in Ancient World Vocabulary Builder. Next, gather skills and materials to solve a real or potential future real-world problem connected to the use of energy (red stone), water, food, and overcoming obstacles.
This class will meet every Friday 4 pm- 8 pm CST May 28-June 2. Explore the anci3 / 10May 28, 2021June 2, 2021
Learning ObjectiveAt the conclusion of this activity, participants will have created innovative artwork, written a story, answered a question, or solved a problem in their Minecraft world using informational text and guided research. In specific contexts, students collaborated with their peers creating new innovations and solve problems. In further contexts of writing, students accurately used grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases as well as gathered vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression while building knowledge about the achievements and contributions of the Paleolithic and Neolithic Civilizations of Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, and India.
Next Generation Standards
- 6W4: Create a poem, story, play, artwork, or other response to a text, author, theme, or personal experience. 6W5: Draw evidence from literary or informational texts toÂ support analysis, reflection, and research. Apply the grade 6 Reading Standards to both literary and informational text, where applicable. 6W6: Conduct research to answer questions, including self-generated questions, drawing on multiple sources, and refocusing the inquiry when appropriate. WHST 7 (6-8): Draw evidence from informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research. 6SL1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse partners; express ideas clearly and persuasively, and build on those of others.
Review of Ancient Worlds Vocabulary Builder
- 6L6: Acquire and accurately use general academic and content-specific words and phrases; apply vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phraseÂ important to comprehension or expression.
- What achievements and contributions from the ancient world shape our world's culture today? Hint: food, fire, architecture, clothing
- What makes a civilization?
- Why did Ancient Civilizations from around river valleys and sea coasts?
- How did water shape the growth of ancient cities?
- Why was agriculture (farming) important in ancient Civilizations?
- What were some unique innovations and achievements of the ancient world?
- Can you build something independently or collaboratively inspired by the ancient world that can solve the world's future water, energy, or food shortage?
Performance expectationsStudents will understand the important achievements and characteristics of ancient civilizations while creating innovative artwork, writing a story, answering a question, or solving a problem in their Minecraft world using informational text and guided research. Students will demonstrate their innovation/creation/story/ or artwork of building a scene in the ancient world that coincides with solving a problem or completing a challenge. Students will master how to document their learning self-reflection to share with their peers and teacher using new digital tools and technologies.
- Critical thinking
- Social and interpersonal skills
- Technology (Coding)
- Computer skills (Using Digital Tools for Expression) (P21, 2016)
External referencesPresentation summaryÂ