This class will meet every Thursday 3pm-6pm CST June 17-July 8. The world is cha3 / 31June 17, 2021July 8, 2021
This class will meet every Tuesday 3pm-6pm CST June 22 to July 13. The world is3 / 31June 22, 2021July 13, 2021
This class will meet every Friday 3pm-6pm CST June 18-July 9. The world is chang3 / 31June 18, 2021July 9, 2021Understand that scientists are always finding better descriptions of the world and then updating scientific theories. Game/Play Project-Based STEM Online courses NGSS
- Understand that science is not a perfect description of the world.
- Understand that scientists are always finding better descriptions of the world and then updating scientific theories.
- Keep accurate records.
- Conduct an investigation and evaluate the experimental design to produce data to serve as the basis for evidence that can meet the goals of the investigation
Guiding IdeasScience is a model of the world around us, but it isn’t complete. Scientific theories are always being tested with experiments and if they get a result that doesn't agree with the theory then that theory gets updated. The scientific method consists of a continuous cycle: It may start with an observation (I noticed ...), which leads to a question (I wonder ...), then a hypothesis ( I think that..), followed by an experiment (I'll test my idea ..) to check the hypothesis, the experiment may produce a new observation and so on. At some point the scientist(s) may form a conclusion (I discovered ...) that they wish to report to other scientists and citizens. At that point anyone else can join the cycle and make their own experiments and observations. A critical part of the method is recording methods, observations and conclusions so that anyone else can replicate the experiment.
- Explore Minecraft and make observations about the chemistry, biology and physics in the world.
- Come up with a question that you wish to test, for example. How does gravity work? What things do plants need to grow? Which chemicals elements react together best?
- Come up with a hypothesis and then design an experiment to test the hypothesis.
- Make sure that you record all observations, experiments and conclusions. Use a writable book. And don't forget you can use the camera as well.
- Report your results to your class, and see if you can repeat your class mates' experiments.
- Can you come up with a new experiment that builds on your class mates work?
Performance ExpectationsStudents should be able to formulate a theory and experiment to test it. They must keep a laboratory book which details their experiment, observations, theories and conclusions. They should then present their work to the class.
2001 Columbia Teachers College-Science Education Veteran Middle School Science Teacher - Private, Public and Parochial Schools Travelled to Japan several times Travelled to France