What Will I Learn?
- Critical thinking
- Social and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills
Create a scene from the ancient civilization of the Paleolithic Age to Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Greece building background knowledge while reading complex text and learning new tier II vocabulary words. Document and record your building and learning journey with Book and Quill. (The Cameras and Pictures tutorial is recommended before you start building). Finally, master your new vocabulary taking the quiz. Then rebuild, reread, and learn again if needed. Write a creative story based on your favorite book as a conclusion using “100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know”.
“Ancient Civilization” problem solver including the Paleolithic Age, Neolithic Age, Ancient Rome, India, and Greece will challenge you further to solve real-world problems in a collaborative context.
Next Generation Standards Covered:
- 6L6: Acquire and accurately use general academic and content-specific words and phrases; apply vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
- 6W5: Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research. Apply the grade 6 Reading Standards to both literary and informational text, where applicable.
- 6W4: Create a poem, story, play, artwork, or other response to a text, author, theme, or personal experience.
- At the conclusion of this activity, participants will have acquired and be able to accurately use grade appropriate general academic and domain specific words and phrases as well as gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression while building knowledge about the achievements and contributions of the early river valley civilizations and Ancient Greece by reading grade level academic text.
Category for the Course:
- Social Studies
- World History
- Language Arts
The student should be able to:
- understand the important achievements and characteristics of ancient civilizations while learning domain specific tier II content vocabulary words.
- demonstrate the creation of building a scene from the ancient world and how to document their learning self-reflection to share with their peers and teacher.
- 11 – 13 years old
- 14 – 18 years old
- Windows PC, Mac, Chromebook, or iPad
- Access to Minecraft Education Edition (included FREE with enrollment)
My name is Theresa Yankovoy, and I am happy to be your Minecraft teacher and guide! As a lover of knowledge of wisdom, I have been fortunate to be a reading specialist in a World History classroom. I am certified in Middle-Grade English 5-9, ESE, PK-3 and have ESOL, and Reading Endorsements. I also enjoy teaching on a virtual platform to elementary school students internationally. I am in the process of completing my Master of Advanced Education.