Next Generation Standards Covered
Guiding ideasShapes from Shapes with Gavin Blackshear
- The Big Idea. “Fractions can be made out of large shapes that are made out of smaller shapes”
- The teacher will facilitate a discussion around the peer review questions.
Student Activities Shapes from Shapes with Gavin Blackshear
- Students will teleport to the Exhibition Area where they will be given a camera and portfolio. The students will look at math models and find the fraction of each piece
- Students will be teleported to the Stage and will be given either four sets of six blocks or six sets of four. They will use the blocks and build a structure and find the fraction for each piece.
- The student was able to examine and label math models to find the fraction of parts to a whole.
- The student was able to examine a math model and determine if it is made out of equal pieces.
- The student was able to create a math model that shows a shape made out of equal pieces.
- The student was able to examine a peer’s math model and recreate it using different size pieces.
- The student was able to explain how the math model is parts to a whole and what a unit fraction is and connect it with the Big Idea.
- The student was able to explain other mathematical connections such as factors, number families, or equivalent fractions.
- 8 – 10 years old