Next Generation Standards Covered
- Develop an understanding of the role of a Ranger in wildlife conservation
- Explore the day to day duties of a Wildlife Ranger in the conservation of animals and their habitats
- NGSS – 5-ESS3-1. Obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.
- What is a Wildlife Ranger?
- Where do they work?
- What duties might a ranger expect to undertake in a typical day?
- What do rangers believe are the ‘best’ parts of their job?
- What do rangers believe are the most difficult parts of their job?
- In what ways do you think the work of rangers helps to protect and conserve animals?
The main idea behind this lesson is for students to role-play being a wildlife ranger in Africa. To imagine themselves in the life of a wildlife ranger, carrying out daily duties to protect elephants. Students will learn the practicalities of the job as well as the joys and the dangers of carrying out their tasks, developing empathy with the people who carry out this vital job.
In this lesson, we would expect students to:
- Demonstrate an appetite for exploration
- Interact with Non-Player Characters (Rangers) as an initial point of contact
- Be prepared to explore the map environment to gather more detailed information
- Prepare a detailed character profile on one Ranger
- Present their character profile to the class
- Develop creative writing skills and produce a diary account of a typical day in the life of a ranger
- 8 – 10 years old
- 11 – 13 years old