Build math models that represent dividing whole numbers with fractions. Then they will play capture the flag using the math models as obstacles. Game/Play STEM Project-Based Minecraft NGSS courses
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.B.7.c Solve real-world problems involving division of unit fractions by non-zero whole numbers and division of whole numbers by unit fractions, e.g., by using visual fraction models and equations to represent the problem. Play/Game – Project-Based STEM NGSS Online Minecraft Classes
- What is division?
- What is an area model?
- Do we dividing whole numbers with fractions?
- What tricks can we use to dividing whole numbers with fractions?
- In what real-world situations would you need to dividing whole numbers with fractions?
1) Build the Map Play/Game – Project-Based STEM NGSS Online Minecraft Classes
All players will enter the world and get in there teamâ€™s skin (Gold Teamâ€™s skin or Purple Teamâ€™s skin). The teacher will push the build the map button, all players will be teleported into the team choosing room. After the players go to the Gold or Purple side they will enter the map.
The teacher will give all the students three dividing whole numbers with fractions. The students will build, label, and document their math models in their portfolios. Help videos are located in the NCP standing behind the flag.
2) Peer Review
Have each student peer review at least 3 math models. Once all math models have been peer reviewed start the game.
3) Play Capture the Flag
The teacher will hit the â€œPlay Gameâ€ button and the players will be teleported into their team locker rooms. The players will choose their characters and enter the game and try to destroy their opponents flag.
- The student was able to build and explain math models of dividing whole numbers with fractions.
- The student was able to solve problems in which they divided a whole numbers with fractions.
- The student was able to peer review a classmates math models and determine if they are accurate or not.