Chemistry labs are potentially hazardous places, so there are strict rules that should be followed to keep everyone safe. Game/Play NGSS courses Online Minecraft STEM
- Differentiate between hazards and risks.
- Identify potential hazards in a chemistry lab.
- Identify ways to reduce risks in a chemistry lab.
Common Core Standards
- CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
Chemistry labs are potentially hazardous places, so there are strict rules that should be followed to keep everyone safe.
- Hazards are potential sources of danger.
- Risk is the probability of a person coming to harm.
Students will be presented with an MC lab filled with dangers. For example, there may be water on the floor, poisons left on surfaces and edible materials out in the open.
Students should discuss lab safety and then draw up a set of rules that they should follow when in a chemistry laboratory. These can be written up on a chalk board or they can create a safety manual. Discussions should include personal protective equipment, and they could find appropriate skins for their avatars. Students can then make the lab safe by cleaning away hazards and putting harmful chemicals in appropriate containers.