Students will solve and build area models of multi digit multiplication problems. Game/Play NGSS Minecraft courses Online STEM
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NBT.B.5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
Start the lesson by discussing the following with your class:
1) How do we multiply large numbers?
2) What shape does multiplication make?
3) Can we use rectangles to multiply? Why or why not?
Big Idea: Understanding area models can help us multiply large numbers.
The goal of this lesson is to prove why and how the multi digit multiplication algorithm works. It is best if the students have had some practice with the algorithm on paper before running this lesson. These math models are a great way to bridge the conceptual and procedural knowledge of the multiplication algorithm.
To begin, load the Minecraft world focused around Multiplying Multi-Digit Numbers.
Students will start in a single player world. They will watch instructional videos and encounter seven problems in Minecraft. Students are encouraged to co-teach and share their knowledge with one another. It is also encouraged to have students be writing and solving the problems on paper as they build their math models.
- Problem 1 and 2: Problems were both the area model and the math problems are given
- Problem 3 and 4: Problems were the area model is given and the student must read the area model to find the math problem.
- Problem 5 and 6: Problems were the math problem in given and the student needs to build an area model
- Problem 7: Make a video of you building and area model and explain how it works
- Students will document their work in portfolios and structure block files.
1) How do rectangles help solve multiplication problems?
2) How is base 10 helpful in solving multiplication problems?
3) Explain and area model?
1) The student was able to multiply multi digit to single digit whole numbers.
2) The student was able to build math models illustrate and explain calculations strategies with area models.
3) The student was able to make a video of them creating a math model.
- Critical Thinking