Students will use blocks in the game to solve multiplication or division world problems and then create a video to show understanding. Game/Play NGSS Minecraft courses STEM Online
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.OA.A.2: Multiply or divide to solve word problems involving multiplicative comparison, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem, distinguishing multiplicative comparison from additive comparison.1
The goal of this lesson is to show visuals in Minecraft to prove why and how the multi digit multiplication and long division algorithm works. It is best if the students have had some practice with the algorithms on paper before running this lesson. These math models are a great way to bridge the conceptual and procedural knowledge.
1) What is multiplication?
2) What kind of problems can multiplication solve?
3) What is division?
4) What kind of problems can division solve?
5) Is there a relationship between multiplication and division?
6) Is there a relationship between the problems they can solve?
Multiplication and division can be used to solve real world problems.
Students will enter a single player world and solve the four multiplication problems and four division problems. Students will be in survival mode and will be able to fly.
Students will study and build math models to solve four multiplication problems.
Students will study and build math models to solve four division problems.
1) What kind of problems can multiplication solve?
2) What kind of problems can division solve?
3) Have students peer review if time allows.
1) The student was able to produce a video of them solving a multi digit multiplication problem or division problem.
2) The student was able to translate between numbers and math models.
3) The student was able to critique and analyze the work of others.
4) The student was able to solve and document all eight problems in the Minecraft Exhibition World.
- Critical Thinking