Keyboard & Mouse Controls
Learn how to move around with one of the most common interfaces for Minecraft: Education Edition, a keyboard and mouse.
Moving around Minecraft
W – Move forward
A – Strafe left
S – Move backward
D – Strafe right
CONTROL – Sprint
- Jump by pressing the spacebar when walking.
- Hop to the block in front of you up by pressing space bar and W at the same time.
- Hint: This is great for moving up staircases.
- When swimming, the spacebar will bring you to the surface.
- Hint: When playing in Survival mode, you can’t hold your breath under water forever! Use the spacebar to catch a breath.
- Fly in Creative mode by pressing space bar twice
- Use these tips when trying to get somewhere quickly:
- Press space bar once more and you’ll levitate upwards.
- Press space bar twice again to drop back to the ground.
- When on the ground, press shift to crouch down and sneak.
- When in the air (Creative mode), press shift to fly downwards.
1 – Attack/Destroy
2 – Pick block. In Creative mode, “2” will place a copy of the target block in your Hotbar.
3 – Use item/place block
Other useful buttons
ESC – Returns you to the menu and then back to the game.
Q – Drops the item you are carrying.
E – Opens and closes your inventory. In creative mode, you can view all the building blocks at your disposal this way.
C – Opens Code Builder.
T – Opens the chat window. Press RETURN to send a message.
/ – Opens the chat window with a / already typed. This is handy to quickly enter commands.
1-9 – Selects the appropriate slot in the Hotbar.
F1 – Toggles the interface visibility. This is handy when you want to take a screenshot.
F5 – Changes your player perspective. Toggle to select from the following: First Person → Third Person Rear → Third Person → back to First Person
If these keyboard settings are non-intuitive, you can change them. You can also see how to move around with a controller, a touch interface, or modify any or all of these settings:
- Press ESC to return to the menu.
- Select Settings
- Scroll down to Controls and click on the desired interface.
- Modify as needed – if you make a mistake or want to go back, you can find the reset button to change everything back at the bottom of the list.
- No need to save, the settings are updated automatically. Find out what works best for you!